Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V8 motorcycle

Default V8 motorcycle

Anybody remember the Ford V8 60 engine?
    It was a small "flathead" V8, 60 HP, dependable, made bewteen 1937 and 1940. And they were used in modified form in all sorts of dirt track cars, midgets and the like.

I have a friend in Dallas who is building a motorcycle around one of them. Yeah, yeah, I know...Boss Hoss, big, heavy, useless POS. But...

Not so this one! I haven't seen it yet, but here's what I know. This is a very compact engine so the overall size of the bike will be about like a big HD. The driveline is all Moto Guzzi, from the flywheel back. The weight will be less than a big HD, but still no lightweight.
    The engine with .100 overbore is 147 cubic inches, ~ 75 HP, and 100 ft lbs torque. With the light flywheel and mild power-mods it will be a quick revver, turning ~5,000 RPM. And those who have heard a warmed up flathead V8 run can attest the sound is beautiful!

It should be a real blast to ride. The styling will be sort of "retro-rod", but it will have all modern amenities and will be DOT/EPA certifiable or partially exempt. He and his partners are going to produce them in very limited numbers.

I know I'll never have one, but I can't wait to ride it. You just know with that power, weight, sound and look it will be fun!

Here's what the motor will look like, more or less;
    Dangerous Dave

"Life is a journey.
    Bring an open mind..."

“If not now, when?”

"Give a damn!"
    - C.M. Howe, Jr.

Dave, interesting concept, brought back memories, Den

http://www.honestcharley.com/honest-...torcycles.html
    "I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth." S. McQueen

"You are never too old to have a great childhood"

"Some people wonder all there lives if they've made a difference, Veterans don't have that problem"
    R. Reagan

"We all gave some,
    Some gave all"

(unknown)

Old "Honest Charley"...yeah!
    A V8 60 bike is not really new, but the one these guys are doing is very different from Charley's...styling, suspension, frame, shaft-drive, motor-mods, etc.
    Thank God there are Honest Charleys and Arnolds (my bud) in the world!
    Dangerous Dave

"Life is a journey.
    Bring an open mind..."

“If not now, when?”

"Give a damn!"
    - C.M. Howe, Jr.

Dave,do You still have Your 2-cylinder Maytag opposed twin? Im thinking of a new project-My vibrating,heated recliner,sissy bar and curb feelers,for those long trips to the beer cooler,Hmmmmmm....

I would like to know more about this Flathead 60 project. Who can I contact?
    Jacob

I saw a really nice Moto-Guzzi / Ford flathead conversion the Del Mar Concours in the '90s. The workmanship was first rate and the engine looked like it belonged there. Wish I could find a photo of it but that would mean opening boxes in the closet instead of file folders on the hard disk.

the other Doug
    the other Doug

1974 BMW R90S, one junk Bultaco, 2 corgis, and a camera.

---------------
    My photographs
    My motorcycle blog

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I would like to know more about this Flathead 60 project. Who can I contact?
    Jacob
    Hey Jacob, welcome aboard! When you get time tell us about yourself, bikes , etc.

I exchanged emails with Arnold last week. The bike (Prototype #1) is virtually finished and is being tested & fettled.
    I'm not sure what's next for them, this is going to be a very small production and take a while. You can see what the interest in & market for this kind of bike is by the reception it got here.
    Arnold promised pics soon and I will post them on this thread.
    If you want to contact Arnold, send me a PM with contact info, etc. and I'll forward it to Arnold. That way he can contact you.

Arnold is not a fly by night. He's been involved for years in developing/building/importing/racing/marketing performance & collectible motorcycles. One example is the Ghezzi Brian.
    He's also an ex-racer and has sponsored road racers. His day-job is a mortgage banker. He has imported and "legalized" hi-end hot rods for Tom Cruse & Brad Pitt.
    And a real good guy!

Dangerous Dave

"Life is a journey.
    Bring an open mind..."

“If not now, when?”

"Give a damn!"
    - C.M. Howe, Jr.

Damn nice flock of geese there!

Post a pic of the flathead bike when you're able, Dave. For guys of a certain age that was a magical engine. Of course we mostly knew about/were interested in the bigger flathead, not the little 60. I'm anxious to see what a guy can do with one who's likely interested in a V-8 bike that is NOT elephantine.

Any idea what the dimensions of the flathead are?
    Last edited by JCsman; 08-04-2010 at 12:19 AM.
    Bill

Riding lets me clear the cobwebs from my mind. Riding long enough lets me kill a few of the spiders.

Ride it like you stole it from the guy in the next lane who is hell bent on revenge.

IBA 54752

My Grandmother always said I'd end up behind bars. She didn't know it would be handle bars.

Black Jack, an (almost) Award Winning '06 Street Rod, and
    2013 Road Glide Ultra Classic

Thumbs up

Sounds good can't wait for the photographs, this bike should be in eye candy.

Any idea what the dimensions of the flathead are?
    No Bill, I have no idea but I'll find out when I hear from Arnold. It's a little guy.
    This bike will just be a Sunday cruiser but with the capability & dependability for coast to coast!
    The Anti-Boss Hoss.

Andy, the Ghezzi Brian is based on a Guzzi motor & driveline but most of the rest is Ghezzi Brian. And the motor & driveline are highly modified. They are registered & titled as G-B. Each one is hand built. I don't know if they are still being imported to U.S. from Italy, they didn't sell well...imagine that! Everybody wanted a Harley or a GS, and a handy dealer. A Guzzi dealer could work on them but probably wouldn't want to.
    They are very fast and handle like a race bike. I rode Arnold's bike and was very impressed!
    Dangerous Dave

"Life is a journey.
    Bring an open mind..."

“If not now, when?”

"Give a damn!"
    - C.M. Howe, Jr.