Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidance Needed through the Deep South

300 miles per day is just about right for me. Some days more, some less, but as an average it's a pretty good number. Lets you stop and sightsee or whatever, and your route looks like it'll have plenty to see!
    rt

You going to translate that for the boys & girls?

...ummmm, no.
    rt

Quote Originally Posted by road_thing View Post
    You going to translate that for the boys & girls?

...ummmm, no.
    Just as I suspected...
    Dangerous Dave

"Life is a journey.
    Bring an open mind..."

“If not now, when?”

"Give a damn!"
    - C.M. Howe, Jr.

I for one can't wait for your trip through the deep south. If there is some way you can stop by this corner of Tenn., Ga. , and NC then we'll make it a point to gather all the local Cafe members together for a greet and meet. Why it would be a meeting of .............

Wait for it........

Jay and the Americans!!

Cara Mia why did I go there....

Dirty Doug
    I TOOK THE ONE LESS TRAVELED BY, AND THAT HAS MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE

ROBERT FROST

"Life's tough.....
    It's even tougher if you're stupid."

John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Doug View Post
    Jay and the Americans!!
    Love it, Doug.

It's certainly my hope to see you all. At some point in the next week or so, I'll post a possible route through your area and get some feedback from you folks. I'm wondering, for instance, how much of the BRP to ride. I read somewhere that the speed limit is 45 mph, and I wasn't sure I'd want to spent a whole day at that speed.

More later . . .

Jay
    "Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit." (Grapes are changed by the grapes around them.) Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove

Quote Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
    I read somewhere that the speed limit is 45 mph, and I wasn't sure I'd want to spent a whole day at that speed.

Jay
    Hell's teeth! That could be used as a punishment!

"Right, try this Triumph Explorer. Wind it up through the gears. How good does THAT feel then?
    Now, your punishment is to ride it all day at 45 mph.."

There would be an international outcry, 'human rights' and 'civil liberties' groups would band together to outlaw such cruel and unnatural treatment of a poor motorcyclist. Previous bad feelings would be forgotten, Obama, Cameron and Angela Merkel would issue a joint 'statement of intent' to have the practice outlawed, saying "It's just too much to bear.."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Limpsalot View Post
    Hell's teeth! That could be used as a punishment!

"Right, try this Triumph Explorer. Wind it up through the gears. How good does THAT feel then?
    Now, your punishment is to ride it all day at 45 mph.."

There would be an international outcry, 'human rights' and 'civil liberties' groups would band together to outlaw such cruel and unnatural treatment of a poor motorcyclist. Previous bad feelings would be forgotten, Obama, Cameron and Angela Merkel would issue a joint 'statement of intent' to have the practice outlawed, saying "It's just too much to bear.."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    To top it off, a ticket on the BRP is a Federal offense. But, I believe it's 50 mph most places and worth it for a day's ride. Usually there's alternate routes available if you decide you've seen enough. If you're staying off the interstates, you're limited to mostly 55 or 60 mph anyway, so it's really not that big of a penalty, imo.

RB

I live just off the BRP... It's beautiful but getting behind a motor home is painful. Speed limit is 45 mph most places. However it seems to me there are fewer Rangers patrolling it. It is a Federal ticket which used to mean that no point just a fine. However that may be changing?? Ther are sooo many better roads off the BRP but they do have more driveways and more bubbbas too.

Brick

I would avoid Columbia, SC in July like the plague. I had a set of Dunlop Qualifiers literalty melt on me the road temps got so hot. Unless you've got someone to see why not head up to North Georgia and do some twisties. Augusta to Columbia is booooooooring. Going up through the Appalachians via North Georgia will be more colorful and not as hard on you and the bike.
    Bubba Edwards

"Misdirected inertia is sure to have dangerous if not catastrophic results" by Nail24
    H-D '85 FXRS(SP) Back in Operation
    IBA 38801