Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW 800GT

Default BMW 800GT

A new bike for BMW, the 800GT, 90 HP twin. Looks fantastic.

Dean O
    Granpa Hoon
    BMW nut and happy camper
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Building the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn East
    Founder San Jose BMW

“Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”-----Dylan Thomas.

"No misfortune is so bad that whining about it won't make it worse."--Jeffrey R. Holland

I'm liking it. The ST was a nice ride but not enough grunt. However I'm used to a 1982 R100RS so a modern 800 seems like a rocket ship.
    Cheers
    Boxerboy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice looking bike.

Jay
    "Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit." (Grapes are changed by the grapes around them.) Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove

Saw that on-line last night. Looks good. And, of course, can come with full compliment of bags. Much better looking, IMO, than the ST. And more upright position. Looks like a great do-it-all bike.
    Bill

Riding lets me clear the cobwebs from my mind. Riding long enough lets me kill a few of the spiders.

IBA 54752

My Grandmother always said I'd end up behind bars. She didn't know it would be handle bars.

Black Jack, an (almost) Award Winning '06 Street Rod, and
    2013 Road Glide Ultra Classic

Much better looking than the previous model. The extra 5 HP helps as well.
    '09 BMW R1200R

Went to our large motorcycle show yesterday, at the NEC near Birmingham. The BMW and Triumph (yay!) stands were buzzing. Jam packed. This new GT is a significant improvement on the old ST which, to my mind, was too close to the 'sports' model. The higher 'bars and increased fairing/screen should improve life on the road.

FWIW, the only Japanese maker to have anything significant on display was Honda. New (Europe wide) motorcycle licence laws come into force in January, with a new 'A2' licence which restricts the power/weight of the machine that can be ridden for the holders first two years. Honda already have the three NC700 models which fit in the A2 group but also displayed three new 500cc models.

All use the same parallel twin engine, which uses proven technology - Fireblade gearbox, CBR600 pistons etc - but in three distinct models, a 'naked', a 'sports' and an 'adventure bike'. All feature ABS as standard, naturally, and are excellent value for money.

(This raises a question, if Honda can include ABS on the cheapest bike in the show, how come others can charge $500 to $1200 for it as an extra? Yes, I know about 'scale of manufacturing' costs, but come on..)

With so much going on elsewhere, it was sad to see the Piaggio/Vespa stand deserted. I mean empty. Not one 'interested' punter. I tried a couple for size out of sympathy for the poor stand staff. The Piaggio 350ie is a super little scoot - I love it! And, BMW/Triumph etc take note, it includes ABS in it's (low) sticker price.

Si, you forgot yer dang camera!
    "Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit." (Grapes are changed by the grapes around them.) Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove

Quote Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
    Si, you forgot yer dang camera!
    I know. Going to a motorcycle show without taking a camera and compiling a report probably leaves me open to a charge of 'wilful neglect of duty' or something.

In my defence, life has been so bloody stressful lately that I just wanted to go and breathe 'motorcycle air' without the need to get the 'perfect' shot of a new model when surrounded by thirty others trying to get the same pic.

Of course, as soon as I saw all the new bikes I regretted the decision not to take a camera instantly. Forgive me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Limpsalot View Post
    I know. Going to a motorcycle show without taking a camera and compiling a report probably leaves me open to a charge of 'wilful neglect of duty' or something.

In my defence, life has been so bloody stressful lately that I just wanted to go and breathe 'motorcycle air' without the need to get the 'perfect' shot of a new model when surrounded by thirty others trying to get the same pic.

Of course, as soon as I saw all the new bikes I regretted the decision not to take a camera instantly. Forgive me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay this one time you are forgiven, but if it happens again we'll have to take back the company plane.

Si, you do realize that that iPhone you're a tappin and a talkin' on is a camera, too, dontcha?
    Certified JB Welder.
    Certified 3M Duct Tape installer.
    Certified Farmer's Co-Op bailing wire expert.
    Graduate of the "Rock on the side of the Trail as a Hammer" school of motorcycle repair.