Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 999 Engine Case Staining - Possible Oil Leak?

Default 999 Engine Case Staining - Possible Oil Leak?

I have been having to clean up the area around my front sprocket almost weekly. At first I just figured it was all the grease from the chain. However, the last cleaning I did I cleaned the chain up really good. When I went to clean it up this morning, there seemed to be oil pooling in the bolt hole dimples.

I wiped up the access and took some pictures of my engine casing now tinted brown. Could I have an oil leak somewhere around here? Is there anyway, or any product, that can clean the casing without ruining it?

The first image has a vivid effect on it so you can see where the oil/grease has been collecting on the engine staining it. The second one is more of what it looks like to the naked eye.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” -Ben Bostrom
    "A perfect characterization of Italian bike ownership - a sea of Japanese bikes with a sole Ducati in their midst, half-disassembled and surrounded by tools." - Jason Cormier

06 Ducati 999
    66 Ducati 250
    71 Honda CB175

CB175
    Ducati 250
    TAT Adventure
    My Site

Bummer, Does this area get very hot, and therefore maybe "fatiguing" the clear coat? Might be challenging if that's the case.
    "Going down that long lonesome highway... gonna, live life my way..." - TCB

Black K1200S '07 - "A Race Bike in a Tuxedo"
    Silver R1150R '04
    Sportster '04
    Yamaha RD350 '73
    Kawasaki 175
    Briggs & Stratton (on a bicycle)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Bummer, Does this area get very hot, and therefore maybe "fatiguing" the clear coat? Might be challenging if that's the case.
    Hot might be an understatement. Anywhere near the engine/exhaust is cooking on this bike. And considering that this shot is of the engine...well you get the point.
    "A perfect characterization of Italian bike ownership - a sea of Japanese bikes with a sole Ducati in their midst, half-disassembled and surrounded by tools." - Jason Cormier

06 Ducati 999
    66 Ducati 250
    71 Honda CB175

CB175
    Ducati 250
    TAT Adventure
    My Site

Thought might be quite hot on the Duc... and then maybe only the drastic solution that you are already aware...

But hopefully not through clear coat yet!
    "Going down that long lonesome highway... gonna, live life my way..." - TCB

Black K1200S '07 - "A Race Bike in a Tuxedo"
    Silver R1150R '04
    Sportster '04
    Yamaha RD350 '73
    Kawasaki 175
    Briggs & Stratton (on a bicycle)

Why wonder if its a leak? Go to your local auto parts store and pickup a UV leak detection kit. They are about 25 bucks or so and include the dye that you add to the oil and a UV (ultraviolet) light. Add the dye to the oil, run it for a hundred miles or so, use the light and trace the leak. If its leaking you'll know, it'll stand out like a set of double D's at the itty bitty titty committee.
    You can use each kit a few times, they include enough dye and the light works as long as you have batteries in it. I've used one too many times to count and its an invaluable diagnostic tool.
    Roger
    Triumph 1050 Tiger

Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog sticks his head out of the window of the car.

My Native American name is "Plays in Traffic"

Quote Originally Posted by jamming View Post
    Why wonder if its a leak? Go to your local auto parts store and pickup a UV leak detection kit. They are about 25 bucks or so and include the dye that you add to the oil and a UV (ultraviolet) light. Add the dye to the oil, run it for a hundred miles or so, use the light and trace the leak. If its leaking you'll know, it'll stand out like a set of double D's at the itty bitty titty committee.
    You can use each kit a few times, they include enough dye and the light works as long as you have batteries in it. I've used one too many times to count and its an invaluable diagnostic tool.
    Thanks jamming. I'll go check that out. I have the 20k maintenance coming up, so if it is something like a leak, I want to know ahead of time and fix it when I've got it torn down. Now if I could just figure out the discoloration...

06 Ducati 999
    66 Ducati 250
    71 Honda CB175

CB175
    Ducati 250
    TAT Adventure
    My Site

It looks very like chain lube that has become 'baked on' by the heat of the case and caused the discoloration. You could try a slightly 'agressive' chrome polish, such as 'Solvol Autosol', if it's merely staining that should fetch it off.
    If on the other hand the lacquer (clear coat) itself has turned brown you will need to remove the case, strip the lacquer with paint stripper and re-finish with a fresh coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Limpsalot View Post
    It looks very like chain lube that has become 'baked on' by the heat of the case and caused the discoloration. You could try a slightly 'agressive' chrome polish, such as 'Solvol Autosol', if it's merely staining that should fetch it off.
    If on the other hand the lacquer (clear coat) itself has turned brown you will need to remove the case, strip the lacquer with paint stripper and re-finish with a fresh coat.
    I think your baked on theory is spot on. I will see if I can find that polish or something like it. I figure if I can keep up on the cleaning now, it will be easier than if I just let it go and try to clean it all when its built up and possibly ruined. I am slightly anal about cleaning, which is a huge PITA for me and this bike since I use it as a daily commuter... Any other cleaning tips and advice is also very welcome.

You guys are more help than the Ducati forum. Thanks for that.

06 Ducati 999
    66 Ducati 250
    71 Honda CB175

CB175
    Ducati 250
    TAT Adventure
    My Site

Well I finally got an update from someone knowledgeable on the Ducati forums and thought I would share. Apparently my clutch slave cylinder seal has gone out, and is a common problem.

Name:  tb_640x480.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  66.5 KB

And I have been told I can upgrade the slave cylinder, which will give a lighter clutch pull with a better sealing arrangement for only around $20. Now I just have to figure out how to clean up the mess it left.

06 Ducati 999
    66 Ducati 250
    71 Honda CB175

CB175
    Ducati 250
    TAT Adventure
    My Site

Nice when something that looks like a big problem turns out to be a small one.

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    "Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit." (Grapes are changed by the grapes around them.) Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove