Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The church fete.

Default The church fete.

I don't know for sure, but I rather imagine a village 'fete' to be a British custom. Of course, this is where you all prove me wrong and highlight events all through your land, fine, but you'll need photographic eveidence!
    The scene is the pretty little Sussex village of Jevington, and the annual summer fete raises money for the local church. It's a pleasant enough way to while away a couple of hours. Join me on the tour..

The hog roast - no nothing to do with HD - always popular!

Villagers set up stalls selling anything and everything.

The lad in the check shirt is my son - was it the two beers that gave it away? He stayed up all night baking well over 100 loaves of bread for his stall. Not afraid of a bit of work that one.

The band were good. No, really, they were!

Especially with a glass or two behind you.

The kids all love Punch & Judy, do you have them in the 'states? You should!

The owner of the field must have kids (or grandkids) what a neat little playhouse hidden under a tree.

A pretty little place, Jevington. Not all Brits are lucky enough to live in a country cottage - despite how we're portrayed on TV!

A few more pics follow in pt2..

If the house in the above pic seems to be leaning - well, I was standing in the lane and a car was coming!

Every village has a 'tea room' serving light lunches, teas, cakes and so on. And in decent weather you can often enjoy enjoy your snack in the garden. I must confess to being a hopeless addict - there's something very 'British' about tea and cakes in the sunshine..

When we got back to the fete the 'Dog Show' was in full swing, full of proud owners and bored pooches

So, there you are. A village fete - in all it's glory!

Cheers!
    Si.

Si, thanks for the great pics and post. A Church fete with adult beveridges?! Obviously not a Baptist church.
    What exactly are cakes? I know You folks call a cookie a biscuit, so I am wondering what exactly is a cake, and how big is it?
    Is it 5 bob? Or three-pence, and a scone?
    "when those Guys on their Triumphs, flat-head 45's or whatever,
    saw Me coming up from behind,
    on that big Hog, well, they got out of My way...." Birney Jarvis

Juggling Cats and Small Hondas since 1973.

If You like Your GUNS, You can keep them. Period.

Simon, you can not help but feel good attending such a Fete. Your son is definitely a fine chip off the old block.

Thanks for the "Feel Good" pictures and "Tour"
    Dean O
    Granpa Hoon
    BMW nut and happy camper
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Building the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn East
    Founder San Jose BMW

“Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”-----Dylan Thomas.

"No misfortune is so bad that whining about it won't make it worse."--Jeffrey R. Holland

Simon, I forgot to add....I think Your son and I would get along fine, a beer in each hand and all!
    "when those Guys on their Triumphs, flat-head 45's or whatever,
    saw Me coming up from behind,
    on that big Hog, well, they got out of My way...." Birney Jarvis

Juggling Cats and Small Hondas since 1973.

If You like Your GUNS, You can keep them. Period.

Si, in my part of the world (admittedly more British in its influences than towns in Arizona or Texas), it's called the Church Fair -- half few market, half social afternoon. For years my wife dragged me along, but they were always on Saturday and they didn't allow booze, so we didn't stay long. I believe this year's rolls around next week.

Jay
    "Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit." (Grapes are changed by the grapes around them.) Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Limpsalot View Post
    The lad in the check shirt is my son - was it the two beers that gave it away? He stayed up all night baking well over 100 loaves of bread for his stall. Not afraid of a bit of work that one.

Not really, more likely the altitude of the lad.

Simon no pictures, but here the churches hold Bazaars and Rummage sales to raise funds, some even hold small carnivals.
    My favorite when I lived in Phoenix my favorite was the annual Greek festival. Delicious Greek food, Greek dancing and Ouzo.

Hey thanks Si, for sharing a bit of Britain with us; really enjoyed it.

Your son looks like quite a nice, hardworking chap!
    "Going down that long lonesome highway... gonna, live life my way..." - TCB

What's Next???
    Black K1200S '07 - "A Race Bike in a Tuxedo"
    Silver R1150R '04
    Sportster '04
    Yamaha RD350 '73
    Kawasaki 175 (dirt)
    Briggs & Stratton (on a bicycle)

Quote Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
    Si, in my part of the world (admittedly more British in its influences than towns in Arizona or Texas), it's called the Church Fair -- half few market, half social afternoon. For years my wife dragged me along, but they were always on Saturday and they didn't allow booze, so we didn't stay long. I believe this year's rolls around next week.

Jay
    Cool, get yourself along there with your camera!

What exactly are cakes? I know You folks call a cookie a biscuit, so I am wondering what exactly is a cake, and how big is it?
    Is it 5 bob? Or three-pence, and a scone?
    You don't have cake? You must do - what do you eat at weddings? You have muffins - right? Y'know blueberry muffins and so forth? Well, a muffin is a small cake. A large cake is about 12 inches accross and cut into slices. Like this..

Or this..

And guys, yes, we're very proud of our son. At the time that pic was taken he'd been on his feet for 36 hours straight, he literally stayed up all night making dough and baking it into bread to help out the organisers of the fete who'd been let down by the guy who booked the bread stall. You'd like him, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Limpsalot View Post
    ...You'd like him, I'm sure.
    No doubt! Thanks for the walk-about.
    Certified JB Welder.
    Certified 3M Duct Tape installer.
    Certified Farmer's Co-Op bailing wire expert.
    Graduate of the "Rock on the side of the Trail as a Hammer" school of motorcycle repair.